“SPICES” is a general term covering a
wide variety of aromatic seasonings which are used to flavor
salty and sweet dishes. These are natural products obtained
from fruits, seeds, roots, or bark of trees and shrubs.
Spices are the key to Indian cooking.
Indians use spices, often lavishly, in many different ways.
Each dish has a different combination of spice blends which
is called the “Masala” or the curry powder of the dish.
Corns – small berries of a tropical plant.
Have a hot sharp taste. Used whole or in the powdered
– An aromatic pod with dark seeds. Used for flavoring
curries, rice preparations etc. Also used in the
– the bark of a tree which has an aromatic flavor. Used
as sticks or in the powdered form.
– dried buds from a tropical plant. Used whole or
seeds – small round seeds, ground and used in
almost all curries. Coriander plants commonly known as
Chinese parsley; are used for garnishing and flavoring.
– small creamish brown seeds. Used in curries to enhance
the flavor. The ground powder is also used in some
– small yellowish brown spindle shaped seeds. They have
a pleasing flavor. Coarsely powdered seeds are used for
seasoning many dishes.
seeds – tiny round seeds used for seasoning
vegetables and meat. Mustard powder is also used in
pickling as a preservative.
powder – a dark yellow powder used in small
quantities to impart color and flavor.
– a hot flavoring spice. Both red and green chilies are
used in many of the Indian curries. The ripe red ones
are dried and crushed to make flakes. Fine chili powder
is used in curries.
– a tropical fruit. Its kernel is dried and made into
flakes. Both coconut milk and flakes are used in curry
dishes. Coco milk can be made from coconut flakes.
– possesses a distinct strong flavor. Used for seasoning
in many dishes. garlic paste is used in marinating meat
– one of the most important items in Indian cooking, as
it has a delightful flavor. Ginger paste is used to
marinate fish and meat. Chopped ginger is used for
seasoning. Dry ginger powder is used as a flavoring
– usually large and round with a thin outer skin. They
are eaten raw in salads or chopped and sautéed in oil or
butter to enhance the flavor of many curry dishes. Onion
rings are used for garnishing and to prepare certain
sauces. Small varieties are ideal for picking. Onion
paste is used in many meat preparations.
– used for marinating meat and as a
thickening agent in curry.